National Doctor’s Day At St. John’s
St. John’s has 445 members on its Medical Staff, who have expertise in a wide range of medical, surgical and psychiatric specialties. In addition, the hospital has approximately 185 residents and interns in post graduate medical education programs, internships and fellowships.
National Doctors’ Day was established to recognize physicians, their work, and their many contributions to society.
March 30, 1933 was the first observance of Doctors’ Day in Winder, Georgia. Dr. Charles B. Almond’s wife, Eudora Brown Almond, wanted to have a day to honor physicians.
On the first Doctors’ Day greeting cards were mailed to doctors and flowers were placed on the graves of deceased doctors. The red carnation is commonly used as the symbolic flower for National Doctors’ Day. On March 30, 1958, a resolution commemorating Doctors’ Day was adopted by the United States House of Representatives. In 1990, legislation was passed in the House and Senate to establish a National Doctors’ Day and signed into law.