From The Artists Studio
“Black and White All Over” – RAA invites artists of all stripes to explore the dynamic expanses, drama and shades of black (the absence of color) and white (the entire spectrum combined), and all grays and grades in between; and to express their world in “Chroma,” the purity of a color and intensity of hue. The exhibits are open to all mediums. Dates: April 12th-June 1st. Opening reception: Sunday, April 12th, 12-4 p.m. Submission deadline: March 28th. Full prospectus and entry form may be downloaded from the RAA website.
You will not find adult art classes as reasonably priced or as conveniently located as the RAA classes at Fort Tilden! Check it out.
All classes are held in sTudio 7 Gallery, RoCA at Fort Tilden. Don’t feel left out if you have missed classes. You can pay on a class by class basis. Catch them early on the next go-round of classes and you can pay for the entire series at a discount. For information, please call 718-474-0861 or email: email@example.com
- Watercolor Painting on Sundays through March 30 from 2-4 p.m. Fee per session is $25 for RAA members; $30 per session for non-members. Instructor is Karl Lorenzen. Materials and supplies are included.
- Coastal, Seascape, Landscape Painting in Oil and Acrylic: Tuesdays through April 1, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. RAA members - $20 per class; non-members - $30 per class. Instructor: award-winning painter Joseph Perez. Check out www.josephperez.org.
- Basic Point and Shoot Digital Photography, Saturdays through April 5, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Students bring their own camera. RAA members - $50 for all four classes; non-members - $65 for all four classes. Instructor: photographer and educator Jessica Schulman.
- Creative Writing for Emerging and Established Writers continues on Wednesdays through April 12, 12:30- 2:30 p.m. Reservations are required. RAA members - $15 per class; nonmembers - $20 per class. Supplies and materials are included. Instructor: Ed Mallon, MA.
- Introduction to Landscape Watercolor, Saturdays March 22-April 5, 1-4 p.m. RAA members - $30 per class; non-members - $35 per class. Supplies and materials included. Students
bring their own sketchbooks. Instructor: renowned watercolorist Arlene Cornell. Visit: www.cornellwatercolors.com.
- Cartooning, Tuesdays through April 8, 10-11:30 a.m. RAA members - $15 per class; non-members - $20 per class. Materials and supplies included. Students bring their own sketchbook. Instructor: author/illustrator and editorial cartoonist Robert Sarnoff.
Arlene Cornell’s bubbling enthusiasm for teaching a workshop at RAA is a delicious surprise in talking to this longtime award-winning watercolorist. It is not just the medium that continues to excite her so. It is her passion for those she is teaching; a class she calls, “a very congenial group.” “This is so much fun.”
In the first session she set up one of her own paintings on an easel and broke down the composition and gave demonstrational instruction on the techniques used, in addition to other possible techniques. “I had to ask myself, ‘how did I do this?’” It was rediscovering her own work, she says, and then being able to pass that knowledge and years of experience on to her eager students.
For years many people have asked Cornell if she would teach a class at RAA. Recently she offered to do just that, if time became available on our schedule. Fortunately, it did. The artist has exhibited her watercolors in numerous juried, solo and group exhibitions in the United States and Canada and has won many awards in international juried art shows. Cornell beautifully captures the mood and the sense of place in her seascapes and landscapes. She makes the viewer feel right at home in this visual context. But what is most impressive about the artist is that the vibrancy of her art is matched by the vibrancy of her passion for life.
RAA mourns the death of artist Chris Preston. Chris and his art were fixtures at the RAA galleries. He was always ready to lend a hand with any task. His papier maché sculptures (The Chess Players, The Thinking Man) delighted and amazed all who saw them. We have lost one of our own. Our condolences to his many friends and to family.
RAA Contact Info:
Phone: 718-474-0861; Fax: 718-474-4373; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: www.rockawayartistsalliance.org CU@RoCA.
Fort Tilden Highlights
NEXT EXHIBITS: “Chroma” and “Black and White All Over” will run April 12-June 1, sTudio 7 Gallery, Rockaway Center for the Arts (RoCA) at Fort Tilden. Gallery hours: Sat. and Sun. 12-4 p.m. and by appointment. Free admission. Opening reception: Sunday, April 12th, 12-4 p.m. Deadline for submission: March 28th. See column.
ROCKAWAY THEATRE COMPANY: “How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” Director: John Gilleece. Remaining performances: March 28, 29 at 8 p.m.; March 30 at 3 p.m. Prices and reservations: 718-374-6400; www.rockawaytheatrecompany.org