2014-02-21 / Community

Voltage Warning For Pets

NYCdog, the New York Council of Dog Owner Groups, has issued an emergency alert for dog owners in all five boroughs. This warning comes amid numerous reports of pets and their owners being shocked from sidewalk voltage, including the death of a 50 pound dog in lower Manhattan on Sunday, February 6th.

The predicted warming weather combined with street flooding is likely to trigger more incidents of dogs and their owners receiving stray electrical shocks.

NYCdog urges all pet owners to exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings. Avoid manhole covers, sewer caps, metal gratings, Con Edison repair sites as well as all overhead scaffolding at constructions sights. New Yorkers are urged to call 911 if they or their pets experience shocks outdoors.

The group advises if you suspect your pet, or for that matter another person, is receiving a shock, you should not touch the person or pet or the ground in the immediate area.

They may use a leash, wooden stick or other non-electricity conducting object to move the victim away from the area. As they do this, those who are assisting avoid stepping into the electrified area themselves.

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History

 

 

Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio