The Veterinary Corner
Financial experts suggest that if you are a truly disciplined person and can put a specific amount of money away each month in a bank account, that is the best means of securing pet insurance. This should be a special account just for your pets and their needs, not fun times. However, if you are like most of us it might be a good idea to investigate the various types of pet insurance. It is important to research the numerous types and various companies. There is a rating and discussion board on the internet.
When deciding on the right plan for you and your pet there are several things to consider.
1. What is covered? Are surgeries, diagnostic tests, medications and hospital stays if your pet gets sick or injured included? Are doctor recommended dietary supplements or special diets covered? Is preventative and therapeutic pet nutrition covered?
2. How are hereditary, congenital and genetic conditions covered?
3. What is the reimbursement method? What is the percentage of coverage that is applicable and are there any exclusions? Can you choose your own deductible to make the monthly cost fit your lifestyle and budget?
4. Are there sign-up fees and what are the monthly charges?
5. Is there a limit either per incident, annually or lifetime for the amount of care your pet can receive?
6. Do you want to include routine care coverage (however, be aware that when this is included often the premiums go up dramatically),
7. Customer Satisfaction. How do people who have this policy rate it and feel about it?
These are just a few of the items you should consider when deciding and purchasing pet insurance. Having it can lead to peace of mind.
At the Animal Hospital of the Rockaways we have brochures from several companies. Feel free to stop in at 114-10 Beach Channel Drive and pick some up and ask any questions you may have. We accept all insurance plans and gladly fill out the forms.