Stop FEMA Now to Rally
Stop FEMA Now, a group opposed to the new FEMA Advisory Flood Elevations (ABFE’s) is inviting residents in all areas affected by the new strictures to join them at a meeting/rally on Saturday, May 4th.
The event will be held at the Surf Club at 1900 Ocean Avenue, Ortley, NJ from 2 to 3 p.m.
Addressing members in an e-mail, the group advised “We need YOU to let the Media and our Elected Officials know how YOU feel about the lack of progress that has occurred in the 6 months since Sandy.
- The Advisory Flood Maps are “Riddled with Errors.“
- The Exorbitant rise in Flood Insurance Premiums is UNACCEPTABLE.
- 2nd Homeowners receive No Grants, this is UNACCEPTABLE.
- The Dunes and Sea Walls need to be built now! Enough talking. Eminent Domain!
- The Grant Money needs to be dispersed NOW!
- The “Grandfather Rule” needs to be extended.
- All Seniors, Disabled and Veterans should be EXEMPT from raising their homes.
We strongly urge our members to call all their neighbors and friends and have them attend the rally to raise awareness to our elected officials and media.”
According to Stop FEMA Now, their mission is to “change FEMA policy to raise homes, lower Base Flood Elevations and lower Flood Insurance premiums.”
They state “(ours) is a group of concerned citizens, who have not only been effected by Super Storm Sandy, but who have been impacted on varying levels by the implications of the new FEMA flood maps. The decision to adopt these maps is premature and requires additional consideration. We want to, quite simply, Stop FEMA Now!
“Our goal is to create community awareness as the adoption of these maps will heavily impact many communities across this country. We are faced with many unanswered questions and very little direction. Stop FEMA Now intends to provide a fact based argument as to how and why we can rebuild stronger and more resilient with a more ‘realistic’ approach.”
For more information, go to www.stopefemanow.com or check them group on Facebook.