2013-01-18 / Sports

Kings Bay's Rockaway In Brooklyn Nail-Biter

Kings Bay's Rockaway Team eked out an exciting 15-14 victory over their Brooklyn counterparts this past Saturday in Sheepshead Bay.

Very, very late in the game, it didn't look like the lead would hold. During the final 8 seconds, an inbound pass was nearly stolen under the Brooklyn basket.

Matthew Glynn stopped the interception and the ball went out of bounds with 1 second left on the clock, giving the ball back to Rockaway. The ensuing inbound pass got in safely and the clock expired for the close win.

The win looked like it wasn't going to be so close after the Rockaway beach team jumped out to an early 6 love lead in the first 3 minutes. Peter Maiorano drilled his first two jumpers and Glynn added a deuce during the span and it looked like the rout was in place. Maiorano would finish the game with 4.

Mikey O'Sullivan, James Walker, Freddy Teich, Aidan O'Sullivan and Sean O'Hagan played tight defense to shut down the Brooklyn squad. The score at the end of the first remained 6-0.

Brooklyn's team would wake up after the first buzzer and scored 2 baskets to making the score 6-4 at the half.

The second half got interesting and the score after the third was suddenly tied 10-10. The fourth would begin like the first.

Dylan Loconte scored 2 of his game total 4 points immediately to start the final frame.

Thomas Davey took a pass from Luca Perrotta and got hammered under the basket, missing the shot, but getting 2 foul shots for his efforts. Davey would hit the back end and Rockaway opened the lead up to 13-10. Brooklyn retaliated with a basket to make it 13-12. Glynn scored the final 2 of his game high 6 to make it 15-12.

The game got faster and more aggressive. Brooklyn scored again with just under 2 minutes to make the score 15- 14. Maiorano stole a pass and had a breakaway layup that looked to put the game away, but missed the lay-up on a questionable "no call.”

Brooklyn would get the ball one more time, but couldn't convert. Rockaway's fans had to sweat out the final 8 seconds which seemed like an eternity with two time-outs being called.

The crowd erupted into applause when the clock expired and the final buzzer sounded for the Rockaway victory.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio