2012-10-19 / Sports

Blessed Trinity Boys Soccer Team Gets First Win

By Sean Padraic McCarthy-Coyne (age 13)

The team gets shaving cream planted on their faces. The team gets shaving cream planted on their faces. Game One: A tough loss against Our Lady of Hope

The third grade boys soccer team traveled to Juniper Valley Park on October 13, to face Our Lady of Hope on a beautiful Saturday morning.

At the 2-minute mark Hope had a chance to score, but TJ McIlhinney (goalkeeper) made a save off a high, long shot. Tommy Davey began to press down the field and at the 7-minute mark he had a good shot that just went wide right. The first half ended with a 1-0 Hope lead.

Blessed Trinity came out of the gate in the second half flying. At the 3- minute mark on a free kick, Pat Kelly passed to Tommy Davey whose shot went wide right. Kelly and the boys still were threatening to score a goal. At the 6-minute mark Luca Perrotta had a chance to score when he kicked a long, high shot that missed wide left.

Still relentlessly determined to score a goal, Owen Ryan found himself all alone in front and he took a shot that went wide left. The tide began to turn as Hope began to get going and at the 10-minute mark a Hope player came down the field and beat 3 defensemen but Brian Yorke, now in goal, made a good save to keep Blessed Trinity in the game. Blessed Trinity had one more chance to score with 20 seconds left in the game, when Eddie Coyne found himself alone in front. Eddie’s shot was stopped by a terrific save by the Hope goaltender. The whistle blew and the boys suffered a tough 1-0 loss. Game Two: Blessed Trinity Wins 3-0 in Style

The boys had a feeling on Sunday, October 14, that this could be the day for their first victory of the season, even though they were playing against the “A” Hope squad to whom they had lost 5-2 earlier in the season. In that earlier game, Hope dominated because Blessed Trinity only had 9 players on the field. The starting lineup was Eddie Coyne (goalkeeper), Owen Singleton, Connor Regan and James Wageman (defense), Luca Perrotta, TJ McIlhinney, Tommy Davey, Brian Yorke, Pat Kelly, Jack Ryan and Chris Tennyson (forwards).

At the 6-minute mark, with a shot towards the Hope net, Tommy Davey took a rebound and shot it into the net to make the score 1-0. The boys began to press again and at the 10-minute mark, Jack Ryan passed the ball to Davey who went on a breakaway and scored his second goal of the game to make the score 2-0. A few minutes later at the 14- minute mark, Hope was penalized for a hand ball in the zone. Brian Yorke took the free kick and capitalized as he scored to make the game 3-0.

At the 15-minute mark of the second half, Hope had a chance to score but the shot was deflected by Brian Yorke to keep the shutout intact. A final effort to score by Hope saw a shot heading into an empty net, but miraculously TJ McIlhinney, playing defense, made an incredible jumping L-shaped back leg kick, that somehow kept the ball out of the net. His save preserved the shutout for Eddie Coyne.

The whistle blew and the boys whooped for joy, as they gained their first win of the season. The boys’ faces were filled with shaving cream as the celebration seemed to go on forever. It was a well deserved victory, after so many close game losses this season.

The boys have jelled into a team to be reckoned with as the season comes to a close. They play at Roxbury tonight at 6 p.m. against St. Francis de Sales and their last game on Sunday on the road at St. Francis of Assisi.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio