2012-10-05 / Sports

Blessed Trinity Soccer Scoring Drought Continues

By Sean Padraic McCarthy-Coyne (age 13)

Blessed Trinity’s 3rd grade boys soccer team traveled to Fort Tilden to take on arch rival St. Francis de Sales on Sunday afternoon, September 30. The teams met in the first game of the year, which St. Francis won 4-1, and the boys were looking to even up the series.

The starting lineup for Blessed Trinity found Jack Ryan (goalkeeper), James Wageman, Pat Kelly and Connor Regan (defense), Eddie Coyne, Aidan McCormack, Owen Ryan, Tommy Davey, Luca Perrotta, Jack Galligan and Chris Tennyson (forwards) on the field.

St. Francis came roaring out of the gate and at the 2- minute mark St. Francis had an opportunity to score but Jack Ryan came up with a good save. Just a minute later at the 3-minute mark St. Francis again broke through the defense but Ryan was there to make a save. St. Francis was on the attack but James Wageman came up big with a clearing kick out of the defensive zone to prevent another scoring opportunity.

At the 11-minute mark, St. Francis finally put one past Ryan. St. Francis wouldn’t stop there, for at the 13-minute mark St. Francis scored to take a two goal lead. St. Francis was relentless and at the 15-minute mark scored on a beautiful corner kick making the score 3-0. Still rolling along, St. Francis had a breakaway but Ryan made another good save to prevent a goal and keep the score 3-0 at halftime.

In the second half, St. Francis came out of the gate showing no signs of slowing down. At the 4-minute mark St. Francis had a free kick and the shot just missed wide of the net to keep the score 3-0. Blessed Trinity was finally finding their offensive stride and had a few scoring chances and a free kick was awarded to Blessed Trinity at the 6-minute mark. Pat Kelly took the shot and just missed as his kick sailed wide right.

At the 12-minute mark, St. Francis had yet another scoring chance and put the ball in the net to make the score 4-0. A minute later, St. Francis was on the rush and a shot went off the goalkeeper Chris Tennyson’s hand and was forced wide right. Blessed Trinity did not give up. At the 18-minute mark, Tommy Davey slid a pass to Eddie Coyne, who broke past the defense and took a booming kick from 15 yards out, but it was stopped by a fine save by the St. Francis goalkeeper.

The boys still wanted to put at least one goal on the board and at the 23-minute mark Pat Kelly was on a breakaway but his shot was stopped by another fine save by the St. Francis goalkeeper. The whistle blew and Blessed Trinity found themselves on the wrong side of a 4-0 score. The scoring drought continues. However, the boys look to regroup this Saturday morning (October 6) at 11:30 a.m. against St. Francis Assisi at Fort Tilden. Come cheer them on.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio