Historical Views of the Rockaways
Okay! Folks, get out your 2004 Atlases and find out what our neighbor Inwood looked like in the days of yore.
Published today is an 1873 map of the area found by yours truly. Here are
a few clues to help you.
* Hicks Avenue is now Doughty Boulevard.
* Rockaway Road is now Broadway.
* Back Road is now Mott Avenue.
* Central Avenue, from Central Avenue to Rockaway Road, is now Beach 9
* The New York & Rockaway Railroad-Rockaway Branch, is now the LIRR.
* Mott Basin is on the left. Have fun!
Addenda: Westville became Inwood in 1889, and a postal station was opened.