Marianist Province Marks 75 Years at St. John's
The event marked the 75th year since the Community took charge of St. John’s Home for Boys in 1937 at the request of Bishop Thomas Malloy. The celebration of the 75th anniversary also was an occasion to bid farewell to the Marianist Community as it will be withdrawing from its ministry at St. John’s.
The advanced age of the Marianists who have been serving at St. John’s and the lack of viable replacements, prompted the Marianist Provincial Council of the United States to request a withdrawal of the five Marianists at the Home.
The event took place at St. Camillus Church, the parish that includes St. John’s. The dinner was held in Springmann Hall, a parish facility named for the late Brother Frank Springmann, S.M. Brother Frank, a former teacher, and director of the sports program, as well as the principal at St. John’s School, was best known for his creation and coordination of the singing group, “The Peanuts,” which brought the St. John’s boys national attention when they appeared on network TV in the 1950s.
About 250 guests attended the celebratory dinner. The guests included present and former staff members, residents and members from the Alumni Association from St. John’s, Marianists associates, the local clergy, the Sisters of St. Joseph, and many more friends of St. John’s.
At the dinner, Father Paul Marshall, S.M. presented each of the Brothers of the St. John’s Community with a framed photo of the St. John’s Residence building. Paul (Woody) Garavente, president of the St. John’s Board, had special words of commendation for Bro. Thomas N. Trager, who has served at St. John’s for close to 40 years, 38 of them as executive director. In that position, he has led St. John’s through numerous and sometimes difficult and complex challenges that are reflective of both society in general and those working with youth and families in need.
Founded in 1868 in Brooklyn as an orphanage, St. John’s Home grew to encompass three facilities: the home in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, a summer “ocean” home in Coney Island, and a farm in Hicksville, Long Island.
The resident population peaked at more than 1200 during the early decades of the 20th century. With improved health care and reduced worker mortality, the number of orphans declined, and the population in residence dropped by the late 1930s. The farm in Hicksville, Long Island closed, and the average age of the boys in residence increased. Consequently, Bishop Malloy sought a community of men to direct the home.