Marianists Formally Announce Their Departure
The Marianist brothers and priests of the Province of the United States have announced their departure from ministry at St. John’s Residence for Boys in Rockaway Park, effective June 30, 2012. The Marianists have administered the home since 1937.
St. John’s began as an orphan asylum in 1826 and is now a contemporary program with a residential treatment center, diagnostic reception center, a nonsecure detention group home and an educational service center.
Although many factors contributed to the decision, the aging and diminishment of personnel within the Province was the most critical, with only one Marianist in full time ministry at the residence.
Rev. Martin Solma, SM, provincial of the U.S. Province, said, “With a smaller number of brothers and priests and an effort to consolidate resources within the Province, sometimes hard choices have to be made. Regrettably, this was one of them.”
The termination of the Marianist involvement at St. John’s also will necessitate the closing of the brothers’ community that is housed there.
The Marianist Province will celebrate a Mass of Thanksgiving next month to mark and honor both the Marianist contribution to St. John’s and the many people who have given generously of themselves over the years. Rev. Solma described St. John’s as a revered, longtime ministry for the Marianists.
“We will always be grateful for the many Marianists and staff members who have served at St. John’s, for the generous donors who have made St. John’s so successful, and for the members of the board, who have been so supportive and cooperative.
We are gratified that the Marianists have served boys and families at risk for almost three-quarters of a century.”