The Right Place At The Right Time
Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) Domingo Feliciano and Randolph Brewster have more than 50 years of combined experience on the job. So, when they walked into Waldbaum’s last Saturday morning they immediately knew something was wrong.
The two EMT’s walked into Waldbaum’s while on their break shortly after the store opened at 7 a.m. when the carbon monoxide detectors secured to their uniforms began to alarm. The longtime partners, Feliciano and Brewster immediately reacted and realized there might be a serious situation at the store.
They called in FDNY emergency personnel who were able to confirm that carbon monoxide levels in the store had elevated to moderate, but potentially dangerous levels. Officials ordered a temporary evacuation of about 15 people in the store which at that time mostly involved management and store employees.
Investigators were able to pinpoint the elevated carbon monoxide levels to the store’s heating system. Even though the problem didn’t elevate carbon monoxide levels to a fatal state, the EMT’s are still surprised to hear that the carbon monoxide detectors in Waldbaum’s didn’t alarm.
“I know our detectors are sensitive,” Feliciano said. “But I wonder why the alarms in Waldbaum’s didn’t go off. We we’re surprised about the whole situation, especially considering how big the store is.”
The store reopened later in the morning.