Historical Views of the Rockaways
The beach at the west end of Seaside was always packed in the summer and contained many bathhouse concerns — all in a row! Names such as Milhauser, White, Waite, Meyer, Mascot, Seid-enberg, Hillmeyer and Dimeling — to name a few!
The bathhouses were very important to the area, as they provided a space to change into bathing attire and a fresh shower with a place to dress back into street clothes ... in complete privacy!
Shown in this view presented today is Corning’s Bathhouse on Beach 107 Street. On the right is a bulkhead that separated the midway’s west end from the bathing beach. Seaside’s midway held the bulk of the amusements there and ended at this site. The circular girder assembly is the last ride on the midway … the sea swing! Riders in bathing suits went around and were frequently dunked in the circular pond the ride was built over. Cool!
Beach umbrellas often had advertisements written on top. The few shown here hawk Bloomingdale’s Department Store in Manhattan.
When the new ocean boardwalk was built in the mid to late 1920s, it crossed over the area shown in this view. The baths survived until Robert Moses demolished the heart of the Seaside area in 1938 to build Shorefront Parkway. The Rockaways were never the same after this event.