Union Accepting Job Applicants
The United Service Workers Local Union #355 Joint Apprenticeship and Training is conducting a recruitment through December 16 for five sheet metal worker apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced.
Applications will be available at Local Union #355, 267 Knickerbocker Avenue, Bohemia, New York from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications must be completed on the premises.
The Committee requires that applicants:
* Must be at least 18 years old.
* Must have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (G.E.D.).
* Must be physically able to perform the work required as determined by an applicant’s statement during the job interview and must attest to the following as indicated on the application:
Be able to climb and work from ladders, scaffolds, poles and towers of various heights.
Be able to crawl and work in confined spaces such as attics, manholes and crawlspaces.
Be able to read, hear and understand instructions and warnings.
* Must have reliable transportation to and from various worksites and related instruction classes.
* Must submit to and pass a drug screen test at the committee’s expense – after acceptance into the program and prior to starting employment.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or may contact the Local Union #355 at 631- 589-5880.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner.
Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or marital status.
Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.