2011-12-02 / Letters

Misrepresentation, Misinformation, Mr. Gerace

Dear Editor,

The November 18 article in The Wave titled: “Occupy Rockaway Coming Soon” was a total misrepresentation of my article of November 11 titled “Rockaway’s Zuccotti Park.” The theme of my article, which was not political at all, had to do with the crowds, noise level and disregard for others. This was brought about by being served too much alcohol by a bar/restaurant on Beach 102 Street. Mr. Frank Gerace should go back and read my article again as he tried to turn it into a political statement.

The true message of my letter was to put bar/restaurants on notice that they must be more diligent on checking proof of age of their patrons. Every community has negative things that happen from time to time. It is our job to police them, and expose them, so that the same mistakes are not made again. Now that that is straightened out, Mr. Gerace, I would like to know where your stream of information comes from. Just this past week the police removed all tents and sleeping bags from the protesters.

The protesters were allowed to reenter without them. The sleeping bags and tents only created a Woodstock environment, with drugs, alcohol, and very unsanitary conditions. I know this firsthand, as I worked in Lower Manhattan, and have had trouble getting to work on time. I know the media loves a story like this as it fills countless hours of air time. In your article you accused me of “identification smear.” You said the protesters were using their spare time to make a “statement,” not drinking and brawling. The protesters proved you wrong as they had been drugging, and brawling, not to mention their disrespect for the police.

In finishing, I noticed that on November 11, Veterans Day, there was no acknowledgment of this by the protesters. Yes, they are the 99%, the other 1% are overseas protecting us from harm. This enables them to do what they do. Do you think they appreciate what the 1% is doing for them?

ROBERT GAMERE

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History

 

 

Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio