Historical Views of the Rockaways
During the early years on the ocean beach at Rockaway Point, there were no wooden jetties to try and stem contrast movement and erosion of sands in whatever direction. Wooden jetties first appeared near the Point on the east beach portion of Fort Tilden. This was to stem erosion at the Fort, and gradually more jetties of wood appeared to the west from the 1920s through the next several decades, Since the stone hook jetty was installed in 1933 at Rockaway Point, much sand has been collected causing the Point area to grow to the south, and most of the early jetties placed south of Oceanside Avenue have been covered with sand, and/or removed. These were shown in early rental ads and postcards from the 1940s and 1950s.
Today’s Historical View shows the Point ocean beach in the Reid Avenue area. A side wheel steamboat can be seen under the word Rockaway at top left, and the very popular bathing platform or float is shown offshore, loaded with the courageous swimmers. Lifeguard boats are patrolling offshore, and to say the least, the beach is packed with bathers. Check out the suits!!!