Historical Views of the Rockaways
The new NYCFD three story brick firehouse was completed and opened in the following year.
After the Rockaways joined Queens County in 1898, to become part of the greater New York City movement, the volunteer fire departments in the Rockaways kept fighting fires, until the city evaluated the Rockaway needs.
It was not until 1905 that paid firemen began to take over.
Most of the old firehouse structures here were not suitable for the new motorized equipment becoming available, and room was needed to house firemen on duty. Pictured today in Historical Views is a picture postcard published to celebrate the opening of the new Far Rockaway firehouse.
Horse drawn equipment was phased out beginning in 1916, and Bellot’s history mentioned that in the year his book was published (1918) there was still horse drawn equipment in the new house, and that 23 firemen were always on duty in Far Rockaway.