2011-04-29 / Letters

Stop The Music

Dear Editor,

This is an appeal to all my neighbors in the Rockaways:

If you are as fed up as I am with the noise that the Mister Softee Ice Cream truck brings to your block, then please, I urge you to call 311 – attention DEP specialist – (or go online at www.nyc.gov/311) and register a complaint.

I live on a residential street … where there are no stores. Yet Mister Softee drives through EVERY DAY, TWICE A DAY soliciting business!!! Aren’t there zoning laws that designate this activity for commercial areas? (For this you can call the Department of City Planning; Zoning Information Desk; 212-720-3291 Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.).

The law says that he is supposed to shut the music off when his truck is not moving. But he doesn’t. He lets the music play. He can be fined for doing this.

He sells a product that is harmful to the health of our children.

He starts business at the beginning of April and continues on to the end of October. That’s over half a year operating a commercial enterprise in a residential zone, dumping his noise and garbage in our streets daily. Why do we allow this?

So, please, if you feel the way I do, then take the time to call 311 – attention DEP Specialist – and register your complaint! It’s worth it! Remember, the more complaints logged, the more likely that the DEP will investigate the problem, and hopefully clean this pollution out of our neighborhood.


Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio