2011-04-08 / Top Stories

Wanted In Pennsylvania,Busted In Far Rockaway

By Howard Schwach

Jerry Colston Jerry Colston A Pennsylvanian who fled that state and hid in Far Rockaway after threatening his estranged wife’s life, has been arrested by police officers from the 101 Precinct, Pennsylvania officials say.

Jerry Colston, 36, was arrested on Wednesday, March 30, in Far Rockaway by cops who received a local tip that Colston, who has ties to Rockaway, was in a food store.

The Pennsylvanian’s apprehension was not without incident. Sources told The Wave that he led police on a winding chase, including a trip through an apartment building, before being caught and handcuffed. He is expected to be extradited to Pennsylvania after a hearing in Queens Supreme Court.

Colston was considered dangerous. On January 31, he allegedly called his estranged wife from a cell phone, telling her he was coming to Pennsylvania to “blow her f…ing head off.”

He made the call minutes after fleeing from a New York City courtroom after discovering there were warrants for his arrest for his alleged violations of an active protection from abuse order (PFA), police said.

According to police, he allegedly tried to make good on his threats this week. Police were dispatched to Toby Farms on a report of a female screaming for help about 3:30 a.m. March 29, according to a report filed by Pennsylvania Police Officer Raymond Lare. In the doorway of her residence, police found a woman bound at the legs and arms with duct tape, and tape across her mouth.

After she was freed, she told police that Colston and an unknown black male had attacked her as she was putting the key in the door. “He grabbed me by my shirt, put a gun to my head and told me to shut up,” the report quotes the woman saying, referring to Colston.

The woman stated that both men forced their way into the house and then locked the door.

“Jerry slammed my head against the floor numerous times and said, ‘You had enough time to drop the charges like I told you to,’ ” she told police.

Colston allegedly took $300 from the woman before the unknown man bound her with the duct tape. At one point, she said, Colston pulled the phone from the wall and wrapped the cord around her neck, choking her, according to the report.

“He pulled me over to the stair, tied the cord around the railing while it was still wrapped to my neck,” she stated. “He said he was going to kill me.” She said Colston put a gun to her head and pulled the trigger two times, but the gun didn’t go off. The woman told police that she heard the second man yelling at Colston, “You didn’t say you were going to do all this,” the report states.

Colston then grabbed a full, unopened bottle of vodka and poured it on the woman. “I’m going to set this bitch on fire. You are going to die tonight. No witness. No case,” he said, according to the report.

When Colston realized he didn’t have a light or matches, he asked the accomplice for a light. The accomplice left the house and according to the report, Colston followed a short time later. Colston was in the New York court in January for a custody hearing involving an exwife, according to Chester Township Police Cpl. Michael Daily, who is leading the investigation. While waiting for the hearing to begin, Colston’s attorney informed him there were outstanding warrants for him from Delaware County. Colston was told to stay put. Instead, he bolted, jumped into his car and called his estranged wife, police said.

“He called her from the car,” said Daily, who added that Colston’s ex-wife called his estranged wife to tell her he had run out of the courtroom. “He called 10 minutes later, saying he was going to blow her head off.”

Warrants have been issued for Colston’s arrest on a slew of charges stemming from his alleged repeated violations of an active protection from abuse order, which does not expire until 2013. According to police, Colston has a history of threatening both his estranged wife and his former wife.

In July, when his estranged wife applied for a temporary PFA, Colston allegedly responded by cutting the victim’s face out of a photograph and leaving it and two bullets in the home they shared in Toby Farms. Colston has allegedly made more than 124 threatening phone calls to his estranged wife, violating the PFA. Free on bail and ordered to have no contact with the victim, Colston instead called her on the phone days before the hearing, threatening, “You show for court and you’re done,” according to the criminal complaint. The victim, fearful for her life, contacted police. Colston never showed up for the hearing. A fugitive warrant was issued for his arrest.

There are currently 127 contempt charges filed against Colston, each carrying a possible six-month jail sentence. He is also facing stalking, terrorist threats, flight to avoid apprehension, harassment charges. The latest charges include assault and firearm offenses.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio