2011-04-01 / Sports

Akwesasne Eliminates Aviators To Win FHL Championship

After forcing a game four with their 6- 3 win against Akwesasne on Friday night, the New York Aviators hit the ice looking to equalize the series at 2-2 and bring the decisive game five back to home ice in Brooklyn. Unfortunate-ly, the Warriors had different plans and were able to clinch the FHL Commissioner’s Cup Saturday night at the Turtle Dome.

The Warriors got on the board first with a goal at 15:47 from Ahmed Mahfouz. This would prove to be the lone goal in the period, giving Akwesasne the one-goal lead heading into the middle stanza.

Pierre Dagenais added another to the Warriors’ total at 2:09 in the second, but shortly thereafter, Jesse Felten would finally give the A’s their first goal of the match and close the deficit to one goal, with the help of Andrew Scampoli and Warren Galloway. Heading into the final period of play, the score remained at 2-1 Akwesasne.

At 5:01 of the final frame, Miguel Delisle would put the Warriors up by yet another goal. However, Mike Thomson found the back of the net with the assists from Matt Puntureri and Nick Vandenbeld at 8:56.

As the clocked ticked down, the Aviators were forced to pull netminder Kevin Druce to go on the man-advantage. Unfortunately, this move would not prove to be beneficial to the A’s, as Dagenais chipped in an empty-net goal at 18:55.

Martin Beaulne added another empty-netter to the Warriors’ total with only forty-eight seconds left in regulation. This would put the cap on the night and the season for the Aviators as Akwesasne was rewarded with the FHL Commissioner’s Cup in a 5-2 victory.

The Aviators would like to thank all of the fans and sponsors for a great season. The twenty-one game winning streak, along with the many FHL Awards the team received, contributed to quite a memorable season. Here’s to hockey in Brooklyn in 2011-12! Aviators Win Game 3

The New York Aviators forced a game four in the Federal Hockey League’s Commissioner’s Cup Series with a 6-3 win over the Akwesasne Warriors on Friday night at the Turtle Dome.

The Aviators erupted with four goals in the second period, and rebounded with their first win in the final round to bring the series 2 games-1, in favor of the Warriors.

Casey Mignone picked up his hot play against the Warriors with his third goal of the playoffs at 4:28 to give the Aviators the early 1-0 lead. Mignone deflected Warren Galloway’s shot from the point past Akwesasne net minder David Plouffe. This is back-to-back games that New York scored the contest’s first tally. Rob Miller’s club got a marker from Jesse Felten in game two just past the halfway point of the first.

The Warriors, doing what they do best, evened things up, 7:19 later, on Dan Tessier’s seventh marker of the post season, which is also his second against the Aviators. Tessier got the finals started with a goal in game one just 29 seconds in.

New York regained the lead, 2-1, in the second period after Andrew Scampoli cashed in on his sixth goal of the playoffs at the 7:39 mark. Scampoli raced down the left side, cut toward the slot and slipped it past Plouffe low to the ice.

Tessier found the back of the net again on the power play 3:23 later to tie the game at 2-2, however John Goffredo gave the A’s the lead right back 11 seconds later. Goffredo broke towards the slot and ripped the puck past Plouffe for his third of the post season.

Seven seconds into Akwesasne’s power play, Nick Vandenbeld stole the puck at the point and wristed a shot over Plouffe to give New York a 4-2 lead on his second of the playoffs. Both teams traded a pair of goals in the third, but New York held on for the victory to force a game 4. Kevin Druce stopped 39 of 42 shots to gain the win.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio