Historical Views of the Rockaways
Shortly before the First World War started, David Roche, the owner and proprietor of Roche’s Beach at Far Rockaway built four huge hotels on Seagirt Boulevard. Located between Beach 19 Street and Beach 17 Street, the so called mansions became the summer living quarters of many notables over the years.
They were known as the Roche-Elms in Far Rockaway.
Years later in 1949, the four buildings were taken over by the Hebrew institute of Long Island (HILI) and remained as such for many years.
In the 1970s the unused buildings were demolished for the improvement and expansion of the Hartman ‘Y’, the new owner. Shown today in views is one of these four buildings in 1939, the old Hotel Rochelle, at 1720 Seagirt Avenue (now Boulevard).