2011-02-25 / Columnists

Historical Views of the Rockaways

“Rockaways Own 24th Company, 9th Coast Defense Command, Far Rockaway
From The Rockaway Museum Commentary by Emil Lucev, Curator Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

Two days before congress declared war against Germany and her allies in April of 1917, Rockaway’s Own, a company of artillery, composed of res-idents of the Rockaways and vicinity, was ac-cepted by the regimental commander as the 24th Company of the Ninth Coast Defense Command. On May 7, 1917, they took the oath of allegiance and were mustered into the National Guard of New York.

The local headquarters was at Cornaga Avenue and Beach 19 Street, and the drill field was above Seagirt Boulevard, east of Beach 9 Street (The Ocean Club grounds).

In August of 1917 they were

ordered to Fort Hancock at Sandy Hook, New Jersey to man the big guns that protected the New York Harbor.

In May of 1918 our boys went overseas as Battery ‘F’ of the 57th Heavy Field Artillery, of the allied expeditionary force. They saw action at San Mihiel, the Meuse-Argonne, Montzeville, Avocourt, and many other sectors. The boys came home to fort Hancock in New Jersey during January of 1919, mustered out and honorably discharged, and returned home to a heroes welcome!

Shown in views today is a picture of the trip home, their baseball team in France, and Captain Andrew McTigue Jr., an officer from Far Rockaway.


Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History