2011-02-18 / Columnists

Historical Views of the Rockaways

A blast from the past … Rockaway Park, N.Y
From The Rockaway Museum Commentary by Emil Lucev, Curator Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke

The Harbor Rest was a sort of landmark in Rockaway Park, and dated back to the early 1900s. For many years before it was demolished in about 1965, a high lighthouse guided customers to the place. A long walkway and dock end went out into Jamaica Bay alongside the very spacious dining room. Top bands of the day supplied dance music, and for the transient crowd there was a food counter out front. To the west or left side was the Rockaway Park Yacht Club, and on the other side was Red Farrel’s garage.

The brochure in today’s view is dated 1939, and after it is perused, you wonder why in the hell the Rockaway’s doesn’t have a place like this today!

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History