2010-12-03 / Top Stories

Beach Bash Killer Arraigned

By Howard Schwach

David Lynch David Lynch A 30-year-old Far Rockaway man has been charged with second-degree murder for allegedly killing his girlfriend on November 23 by punching and drowning her on the beach at Beach 32 Street.

Local police sources told The Wave that she had been so badly beaten that at first they thought she was either shot or stabbed in the head.

District Attorney Richard Brown identified the defendant as David Lynch, 30, of 1074 Gipson Street, a National Guardsman for the last two years, who was arraigned early this week in Queens Criminal Court on a criminal complaint charging him with second-degree murder. Brown said, “The defendant is accused of fatally beating and drowning the woman who he had been dating. Her brutal and senseless death should result in him spending the rest of his life in prison.”

Brown added that, according to the charges, during the hour before 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 23, on the beachfront at Beach 32 Street, Lynch punched and bit Althea Lewis, 45, of Springfield Gardens, about the head and face and held her head underwater by grasping her feet and lifting them up, causing her head to become submerged.

Althea Lewis Althea Lewis Sources say that police officers from the 101 Precinct in Far Rockaway were taken to Lewis’ body by Lynch, who had been pulled over a few minutes earlier, several blocks north of the beach on Far Rockaway Boulevard, for driving erratically.

“He pretty much led us to the body,” a police source told The Wave at the time. “He didn’t confess, but he did say there was a body there.”

One local source close to the investigation, however, said that Lynch told the officers that his girlfriend had committed suicide.

The evidence proved otherwise.

The Medical Examiner’s Office determined on Thursday of last week that the victim died as a result of blunt force injury to her head (nasal fracture and bleeding around the brain) and submersion in water.

Local sources said early this week that Lynch and Lewis were fooling around in the water. When Lynch refused to let Lewis out of the water, sources say, she slapped him, causing him to snap and beat her repeatedly.

The investigation was conducted by the New York City Police Department’s 101 Precinct Detective Squad, with the assistance of detectives from the Queens Homicide Squad.

If convicted, Lynch faces up to 25 years to life in prison.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio