Garden Sprouts On Beach 91 Street
On a sunny Sunday in early October, more than 50 residents of Rockaway Beach attended and completed cleanup work to prepare a site on the beach block of Beach 91 Street for a community garden. An enormous amount of concrete and brush, garbage and recyclables were cleared, and the group enjoyed refreshments from crock pots of steaming hot cider and homemade chili. A very generous installation of six large format photographs taken by Reid, a local surfer/photographer, was placed on the construction fence at the site to beautify it. The group demonstrated great enthusiasm and motivation to take an active role in making the community a better place.
Led by local resident Tim Hill, the neighbors requested support at the monthly meeting of Community Board 14 on Tuesday, October 12. Future steps include:
• drafting sample landscape layouts for review and approval by the community.
Local Office Landscape (Walter and Jen) drafted some design
variations for the group’s review;
• GreenThumbNYC registration as a formal NYC community garden;
• leveling the property with a Bobcat tractor;
• acquiring the appropriate lumber to build raised-bed gardens; and
• acquiring the commitment of local elected officials to donate and deliver
compost and soil once the garden beds are built.
Anyone wishing to volunteer or donate cash or materials should send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.