2010-10-15 / Sports

Rockaway Rugby Bounces Back To Defeat Old Maroon

By Alan Shaw

Two weeks ago, the Rockaway Fisheads took a heartbreaking loss in the final minutes, losing to Brooklyn RFC, 15-10. Both defenses had provided score-saving tackles and try-line stops in a hard fought match which could have gone either way.

Rockaway team captain, TJ Mahoney, could only say, “I can’t wait until the playoffs, we had the game but mistakes were many, in the end. We’ll beat them in the finals, guaranteed”

The Fisheads moved on to their next match last weekend at home against an Old Maroon team from the Bronx. Referee, Tom Tani was quoted, “The match started with both sides testing each other primarily using their big packs.”

Rockaway scored on a PK to go up 3-0. Old Maroon replied with a nice poach off a ruck to go up 7-3. The Fisheads came back with a PK and an unconverted try to go up 11-7. Old Maroon replied themselves with an unconverted try to go up 12-11.

In the closing minutes Rockaway took a penalty attempt that hit the post, bounced into the 22 where an Old Maroon player knocked on in the ensuing play, with Rockaway using the advantage given to score a converted try and lead 18-12 at half.

Old Maroon re-took the lead in the opening minutes of the second half with nice run by their #10 to go up 19- 18. At this point Rockaway remembered they had a back-line used them to key a 24 point surge (3T’s 3C’s PK) to re-take the lead for good. Old Maroon got on the board one last time to close to 42-24, followed by Rockaway scoring on the last play of the game.”

Rugger Pluggers: The last Fishead post game Party was hosted by the Wharf. Thank you, Mr. Bullock! Sorry about the blood stains.

Tyrone Sperling has finished his “on again/off again” rugby career and has taken on a new sport ... fishing. Tyrone hasn’t played rugby since the North Jersey fiasco game two years ago. He was quote as saying, [He] wants to play a sport that he can actually make a tackle. Oh lay, Ty!

Oakie O’Connor came out of retirement (again) to fill-in the Rockaway back-field when Long Beach Dougie ripped his hamstring. Dougie blamed the rigorous pre-game warm-up was the cause of his injury, 1 minute into the match.

If you don’t know the Rugby Bob warm-up yet...its...hit snooze at 11:45 a.m., leave Long Beach at 12:15p for a 12 p.m. arrival at Fort Tilden, Stroll out of the car around 12:55 p.m. and then tell the referee the Long Beach bridge was up. Game on at 1:00 p.m.

Team leaders, Tom French and Brendan Fitzgerald phoned in a 12:45 p.m. team pep talk from an Atlantic City craps table. “The table was hot...we couldn’t leave,” Tom stating their poor excuse for missing a league game. They promised to play twice as hard in Hudson Valley this weekend.

Big Jimmy James Weinart has played like he’s been trying to re-invent rugby but his presence alone has scared other players into submission. Keep rucking, Big Jim!

Kermit Egan has postponed his rugby career to pursue a personal running milestone, the Philly Marathon.

What going to be more difficult...finishing a marathon in 4 hours or getting his entire family to Ireland for his wedding?

Big Red Pat and Big Pete have provided some extra youth in otherwise ancient pack... keep it up boys, they need you!

Fan appreciation day is next week, October, 23 at Fort Tilden. The Fisheads are playing Suffolk RFC in their season finale and they want a good crowd to cheer them on. Party favors for everyone.

Free Tacos for all...sponsored by the Cabana of Long Beach.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio