Historical Views of the Rockaways
At the center of today’s view is the old Far Rockaway National Bank built and opened in 1912; the Far Rockaway Firehouse opened in 1913; the courthouse and library to the right (not shown) in the early 1900s: buildings behind the bank, (on the right side) built from 1899 on as office space and retail stores; the Winkler Storage Warehouse behind the bank on the left came in 1916; and the plaza stationary and pharmacy was built by H. M. Kanter in 1914. Kanter also had two stores on the beach in Rockaway Park and Holland.
As you can see there are trolley car tracks coming out of the station’s plaza on to Central Avenue, and then to the beachfront at Beach 19 Street. The trolley stopped running in the late 1920s, and the Green Bus Line soon filled the vacuum left by the trolley. As a result, a bus depot was opened in the station plaza at Far Rockaway. Buses provided service to the Point, Rockaway Park, Brooklyn to New Lots and Euclid Avenue subway connections (by Green Lines) and Nassau Buses ran to Long Beach and the Five Towns, and Jamaica buses to Jamaica.
After the IND subway came to Far Rockaway in 1956, a station built on Mott Avenue at Beach 22 Street and the LIRR no longer serviced the Peninsula to Far Rockaway station, the LIRR moved its station to Nameoke Street.
The bus lines were moved out onto the street with corners as terminals, and the once proud station plaza was reduced to a shopping center that still has problems to this day.