Visitation Sisters Receive NCEA Religious Award
The Sisters of Visitation of the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary received the prestigious 2010 Religious Community Award, given by the National Catholic Educational Association. The award is presented annually to selected orders that have had a longstanding impact on Catholic education.
Sister Susan Marie Kasprzak, VHM President of the Second Federation of the Visitation, accepted the
award on behalf of the order. The Visitation Monastery is located on 90 Street and Ridge Boulevard in Brooklyn. The Visitation Sisters currently have eleven monasteries in the United States.
This year, the Sisters of the Visitation celebrate the 400th Anniversary of the foundation of their congregation in France. In 1799 three Sisters of the Visitation opened a school in Georgetown, Washington D.C., and began their congregation’s education ministry. The school now known as Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School, is the first Catholic school for girls established in the original thirteen states.
All the Sisters of the Visitation continue in their commitment to St. Francis’ motto: “Live Jesus,” allowing Jesus to live through them and affect the lives of all they meet.