Historical Views of the Rockaways
Old Public School number 43 was authorized for construction in 1899 and was completed and opened in 1903. Then the old wooden schoolhouse that was located on the boulevard (then known as Washington Avenue from Rockaway Park to Beach 169 Street) between Centre Street (now Beach 106 Street) and Neptune Avenue (now Beach 107 Street) was torn down. This old wooden schoolhouse had been opened in 1894 by the Union Free District School Program of the old town of Hempstead. The Rockaways were part of the town of Hempstead and joined greater New York City in 1898. The new P.S. 43 was built by the city on the Main Boulevard (Washington Avenue) at Eastern Avenue (now Beach 110 Street). The lot size of this school was 200 feet by 200 feet and had ample room for playgrounds for the students.
Old P.S. 43 was closed in 1963 and later torn down. It was replaced by the new P.S. 225 and P.S. 256, built near the site of the old school. The photo in today’s view was taken in 1911.
The message on the back stated that the sender will stay in Rockaway and send her four children to this school. The sender also emphasized that her fortune teller had predicted this.