Historical Views of the Rockaways
In 1901 the Park Inn Baths, at Beach 115 Street in Rockaway Park, began as a small one and a half story main building almost surrounded by single and family type bath houses. By the 1930s the establishment had been enlarged into the structure appearing in this week’s view. Beach 115 Street is on the left, and Beach 114 Street is on the right. The Park Inn Baths had a large swimming pool, and that was located on the Beach 114 Street Side. The Park Inn Hotel and Roof Garden was to the left or west on Beach 116 Street. Shortly after midpoint of the last century, hotel stays waned, and quick drying bathing suits quelled the need for bath houses to change in and out of bathing attire. Later the hotel became an adult home, and the baths converted to a health related facility.
The old bath house could accommodate thousands of bathers for the day, week, or season. There was a concession in front facing the boardwalk where beach umbrellas and chairs could be rented at a moderate cost. Despite all this, some beach patrons brought in their cars, and used their autos as bath houses while parked on the streets of the Rockaways.