Thank You Rockaway!
You just never know how many friends you have until something goes wrong. The Horan family found out shortly after a fire that consumed our home on Beach 127 Street in the early morning hours on Sunday, January 31.
The fire, which apparently started in the boiler room, filled “ the entire house with dense smoke. Our quick thinking son, Patrick, heard the smoke detectors, woke up the rest of the family and got us safely outside. While I tried to rescue a computer in the basement, he was calling 911. Thank God nobody was hurt. We’re all grateful that my wife Kathy was smart enough to make sure our smoke detector batteries were fresh, you should do the same.
The fire department responded quickly and eventually the fire was extinguished as we watched in horror from the sidewalk. The first people I’d like to thank are our next-door neighbors, Janet, Mark and Vinny, who fed us, gave us clothes and provided much needed comfort until the mayhem was over. Shortly after the fire trucks left, a stream of neighbors, friends and relatives began to arrive and call to see what they could do to help. Some offered their labor, others clothes or money, and still others places to live. The outpouring of love that we have been the grateful recipients of has been truly amazing and something that we were totally unprepared for.
A special thanks to Frank and Christine Wolfer and Cubby O’Connor. Thank you very much for putting us up while we wait for more permanent living accommodations to become available.
In the days and weeks after the fire we have received generous support from both individuals and organizations, in particular, the RIBS Foundation, The Mary Louis Academy, where Kate is a senior, P.S. 207 where Kathy is a para professional, and the Rockaway Park Civic Association and Graybeards of which I am proud to be a member.
Thank you Rockaway, you have reminded us why we live here!