Stray Voltage Shocks Man, Dog On Cornaga
A 52-year-old man and his dog received the shock of their lives last week when they were nearly electrocuted during a walk along Cornaga Avenue. According to reports, James Evans was walking his pit bull, Max, when an electrical current from the ground went through their bodies.
“I’m walking down the street and we just went shzhzhzzz,” Evans told PIX news about the February 17 incident.
If it had not been for Max, Evans believes he would be dead.
“The dog is screaming and he drags me across the street, and it’s a good thing I was holding onto the chain or I would have been staying there dead.”
The Wave spoke with a LIPA representative on Tuesday who said the stray voltage came from a nearby church.
“What we did was de-energize the line and left a message with the church,” said Vanessa Baird-Streeter, the Executive Director of Communications for LIPA. “Basically, there is faulty wiring that exists in the church and the metal roll down door acts as a conductor for the voltage.”
Baird-Streeter said that, as of Tuesday of this week, no one from the church has contacted LIPA.
“We are not sure of a live tenant [there],” said Baird-Streeter, who was not able to identify the church.
According to reports, Evans initially refused transportation to Peninsula Hospital Center because EMTs would not allow Max – whose coat turned from brown to black and suffered burnt paws – to ride along. Evans checked himself into the hospital later on instead of leaving his pal behind. There is no word on the conditions of Evans or Max.