Historical Views of the Rockaways
The Belle Harbor section of the Rockaway Beach peninsula was laid out and building lots put on sale in 1902. On Rockaway Beach Boulevard at Beach 126 Street, and Newport Avenue on the same street, elaborate entrance arches were built over the sidewalks on both sides. As far as is known, no arches were placed on the sidewalks of Bayside Drive (now Cronston Avenue).
Today’s view shows the Belle Harbor arches on the Boulevard at Beach 126 Street, and the old Hotel Commodore is at the left.
The steeple of the old St. Francis de Sales R. C. Church is at the center background. A small police booth can be seen beside the arch on the right, and there was another at the other end of Belle Harbor near the Neponsit section.
In later years the arches were declared unsightly, and removed.