Historical Views of the Rockaways
The view is from the Riis Bath House and Pavilion, looking towards Fort Tilden, located on the west side of Riis Park. The photo shows an extremely crowded beach on this day in 1951, and the umbrella concessionaire must have been cleaned up. On the right is the second floor balcony next to the dining room.
Riis Park was started in 1911 when the beachfront was purchased for an oceanfront park. Development was slow, and increased speed in the mid to late 1930s. In the mid 1960s the park became part of the Gateway National Park.