2010-01-08 / Top Stories

National Flood Insurance Program

Homeowners often find out the hard way that floods can happen anywhere and at any time. Flood - ing, an excess of water or mud on normally dry land, is the most common natural disaster in the U.S Statistics from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP.)

Homes in areas at high risk from floods are three times more likely to be damaged by flood than a house fire. And nearly 25 pecent of all flood insurance claims come from areas at low risk of flooding.

“Virtually everyone is exposed to potential loss from flooding;” says Insurance Superintendent James Wrynn. “Yet many people are unaware that flooding is not covered by standard homeowners’, renters or business insurance policies.

It’s important for people to understand their potential risks and then make sure they are protected with appropriate insurance.”

The federal Emergency Agency (FEMA) is now updating flood hazard maps across the country.

When a new map is issued, you may find that the understanding of your level of risk has changed, along with your flood insurance requirements.

Flood risk levels have been broken into three categories: Highrisk areas have at least a one percent chance of flooding annually.

All homeowners in these areas with mortgages from federally regulated or insured lenders are required to buy flood insurance.

Moderate-risk areas have less chance of flooding annually, but the possibility is not completely remo - ved. Flood insurance is not requir - ed, but is recommended for homeowners and renters. And undetermined risk areas are where floodhazard analysis has not been conducted, but a risk still exists.

The NPIF, a federal program, offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters and business owners if their community participates in the NFIP program. Insurance can be purchased through property and casualty insurance agents and brokers.

Many of these agents and brokers also sell homeowners’ insurance. Flood insurance rates are set and do not differ from company to company or agent to agent. Rates depend on various factors, which include the date and type of construction, along with a structure’s level of risk.

Flood policies can cover up to $250,000 in damage to a structure; additional coverage can be purchased to protect against loss of contents. Renters should talk with an insurance agent to decide if coverage for personal belongings is necessary.

Business owners can purchase policies providing up to $500,000 in coverage.

Consumers can find out more about flood insurance by contacting Ron Klug at: 518-474-4567

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio