2009-12-25 / Columnists

Historical Views of the Rockaways

The Manhattan Hotel, Far Rockaway
From The Rockaway Museum Commentary by Emil Lucev, Curator Dedicated To The Memory Of Leon S. Locke
During the year 1882, Faber’s Hotel opened on the southeast corner of Mott Avenue and Beach 21 Street in Far Rockaway. Information on the hotel was nil and nothing was found about the owner.

In 1891 the hotel changed hands, was rebuilt and enlarged, and reopened as the Manhattan Hotel. This was found as a one-liner in a Long Island newspaper.

However, a surviving edition of one of the old Far Rockaway newspapers (a 1901 issue), gave H. C. Gunther as the proprietor, German sarsaparilla was one of the libations offered in the hotel bar, Pabst Milwaukee as well as many other beers were offered, and beefsteak dinners cooked on a hickory wood fire could be had.

Also mentioned was that the finest liquors were on hand.

The hotel had a good location as the old LIRR station running from Jamaica to Far Rockaway was literally across the street and the Peter Strauss Hotel was the only competition on Mott Avenue, situated diagonally across, on the west side of the Mott Avenue railroad crossing.

In today’s view, Beach 21 Street is on the right, and on the left is the fourstory brick Leek building, which was a showroom for Goetz pianos on sale in Far Rockaway.

The postcard is dated 1906 and was mailed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The Manhattan Hotel gave way to modern brick buildings with storefronts due to the many fires in the Beach 21 Street and Central Avenue area around the hotel.

Big fires that caused great losses took place in 1916 and 1921.

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History