2009-12-18 / Community

Sanders: HEAP Assistance Now Available


Councilman James Sanders Jr. is offering the Home Energy Assistance Program once again this winter for residents of the Rockaways. The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a grant offered by the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, which assists low-income residents with their energy bills (electricity, gas and oil).

Payments vary depending on household income, size, and energy provider. If you have an energyrelated emergency, such as a po wer shut-off, you may apply for emergency benefits.

To apply for HEAP you must bring the following documentation:

1. A copy of current rent, mortgage receipt, or lease;

2. One of the following for each member of the household: a) birth or marriage certificate, b) school or baptismal record, and c)social security card or driver's license;

3. Proof of total monthly income for each member of your household for the month in which you apply;

4. A current fuel and/ or utility bill, or a statement from your landlord that heat and utilities are included in your rent.

You qualify for this program if you are a U.S. Citizen or qualified immigrant and:

1. Your current income is at or below the current income guidelines for your size household;

2. You receive temporary assistance (Safety net or family assistance);

3. You receive food stamps;

4. You receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI);

5. You live in subsidized housing and pay directly for heating.

You can apply Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio