2009-09-18 / Columnists

Answers To Last Week's Photo Quiz: The Edifices of Rockaway


The Far Rockaway Long Island Railroad Station in the 1940s, with the Winkler Moving and Storage building behind it. The Far Rockaway Long Island Railroad Station in the 1940s, with the Winkler Moving and Storage building behind it. The summer hotel on Beach 126 Street and the boardwalk that now serves as the Chai Adult Home. The summer hotel on Beach 126 Street and the boardwalk that now serves as the Chai Adult Home. St. Joseph's Hospital in Far Rockaway, what is now St. John's Episcopal Hospital. St. Joseph's Hospital in Far Rockaway, what is now St. John's Episcopal Hospital. The Long Island Lighting Company (LILCO) plant off Mott Avenue in Bayswater still supplies much of Rockaway's electric needs. The Long Island Lighting Company (LILCO) plant off Mott Avenue in Bayswater still supplies much of Rockaway's electric needs. The Hotel Seville no longer stands. The Hotel Seville no longer stands. The Smith Building at 1931 Mott Avenue, at the corner of Central Avenue, is now several stories high and houses a number of government and political offices. The Smith Building at 1931 Mott Avenue, at the corner of Central Avenue, is now several stories high and houses a number of government and political offices. The site of Peninsula Hospital Center when it was being built. Notice the construction of the public housing across the street at the site that was once the Rockaway Airport. The site of Peninsula Hospital Center when it was being built. Notice the construction of the public housing across the street at the site that was once the Rockaway Airport. Far Rockaway High School in Bayswater. Far Rockaway High School in Bayswater. This is where the Steeplechase Baths once stood. (Next to Playland). The bath house was owned by the Tilyou family, the same family that owned many of the amusements, including Steeplechase Park in Coney Island. Notice the boardwalk railway that ran for several blocks in that area. This is where the Steeplechase Baths once stood. (Next to Playland). The bath house was owned by the Tilyou family, the same family that owned many of the amusements, including Steeplechase Park in Coney Island. Notice the boardwalk railway that ran for several blocks in that area. 121-16 Ocean Promenade, a building that recently converted to condominiums, as did many of the boardwalk buildings in the west end. 121-16 Ocean Promenade, a building that recently converted to condominiums, as did many of the boardwalk buildings in the west end.

Return to top

That's not 121-16 Ocean Promenade. It's the building next door, 122-20 Ocean Promenade. Also, this is a rental building, possibly the last one left on that section of the Boardwalk. Last point, 121-16 Ocean Promenade is a Coop, not a condo as are most of the others on that streach.


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History