2009-09-04 / Top Stories

DOE Announces Registraton Centers

The New York City Department of Education has announced that it will open 12 student registration centers on Monday, August 31, to enroll new students for the opening of school.

The nearest centers to Rockaway are at Long Island City High School (14-30 Broadway) and Thomas A. Edison Career and Education High School at 165-65 84 Avenue in Jamaica.

All new high school students or those re-entering the system after an absence—both general education and special education—and all new or reentering general education elementary and middle school students without a zoned school should register at a center in their borough of residence. New elementary and middle school students who have a zoned school can register at their zoned school starting Wednesday, September 9. New elementary or middle school students who require a special education placement should visit a special education enrollment site to register. Parents can find their child's zoned school, the nearest registration center, or special education enrollment site by calling 311 or visiting the Department's Web site at www.nyc.gov/schools.

Enrollment staff at student registration centers will meet with students and their parents to facilitate registration. Interpretation services will be available at each center. All forms and parent materials will be available in English and translated into eight languages (Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu).

Beginning Monday, August 31, through Friday, September 18, the student registration centers will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The centers will be closed Labor Day, Monday, September 7.

What parents must bring as verifiction of residence

Parents must bring their child with them to register. In addition, the following documents are required:

Proof of residence. Parents must bring any two of the following documents:

A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident's name and dated within the last 60 days;

Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency indicating the resident's name and address and dated within the last 60 days; An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;

A current property tax bill for the residence;

A water bill for the residence dated within the last 60 days;

Official payroll documentation from an employer dated within the last 60 days, such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt.

What's needed for child's certification

Child's birth certificate or passport; Child's immunization records;

Child's latest report card/transcript (if available);

Child's Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available).

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio