St. Francis Summer Classic Prepares For Playoff Games
After the previous week that saw a record 72 basketball games played over six days of the St. Francis Summer Classic, the regular season ended this week for the Girls Grammar Senior, Boys Grammar Middle, Boys Grammar Senior, and Boys High School Divisions. The playoffs in those respective divisions will begin this Monday.
The Girls Grammar Senior Division, under the guidance of Commissioner John Blum, had a tie for first place that was set to be broken when Keating Real Estate and Adams & Company faced off on Monday.
Both teams brought 6-1 records into the contest. The winner draws the top seed and a bye in the first round of the playoffs. Walter Blum's Giants are close behind the top two teams. Commissioner Tom Morgan leads the Boys Grammar Middle Division. The Melons lead in first place at 6-1 with Curran's Superior Meats and Rockaway Little League in pursuit. It's a family affair at the top of the Boys Grammar Senior Division with Kevin and Matthew Crockett excelling under the coaching of mom Cathy Crockett for Business Relocation Services (BRS). Commissioner Jeff Mercer's division is extremely well balanced as evidenced by Monday night's overtime thriller between undefeated BRS and the Cougars, who sport only one win but have been competitive in every game.
Plum Tomatoes and Grayriders band.com will challenge the leaders.
Suntan Dan Edwards heads the Boys High School Division with the assistance of Joe Kenel. Breen Electric leads the way.
Belle Harbor Steakhouse and Rock Park All-Stars are tied atop Ryan Whelan's Men's Open Division. The Hot Mommas are still undefeated in Kenny Whelan's Women's Open A. Kelli Donohue and Deirdre Roberts handle the reins for the Women's Open B Division and Bungalow Bar leads there with a 3-0 record.
The Graybeard championships on Thursday featured White against Green in the Legends Division and Red against Green in the Young Guns championship. The 5:45 p.m. divisions do not have playoffs and continue play this week. John Moran and Peter Tuffey's Boys Grammar Junior Division finishes their season on Tuesday, weather permitting.
The Girls Grammar Junior Division was scheduled to finish on Wednesday. However, Commissioner Randy Neiswenter has added games on August 3 that were rained out this past Tuesday.
Jim McKeon's Second Grade Coed Division will finish on Tuesday, August 4. After a failed attempt to include Girls High School Division during the same period as the rest of the Summer Classic, it now appears on track to begin this Wednesday.
Here is this week's playoff schedule:
Girls Grammar Senior Division- Monday; Tuesday- Quarterfinals; Wednesday Semifinals; Boys Grammar Middle Division- Monday; Tuesday- Quarterfinals.
Boys Grammar Senior Division- Monday; Tuesday-Quarterfinals, Wednesday Semifinals;
Boys High School Division-Monday; Tuesday-Quarterfinals.
Come check out the games at the St. Francis Summer Classic.
1-Mullin Basketball Camp, 2-Blue Bear Risk Management, 3-T. Moriarty & Son, 4-Buckley's Restaurant & Caterers
Standings-Boys Grammar Junior
1) The Storage Place; 2) Kill, Wood, & Mann, Est. 1961; 3) Boarders Surf Shop; 4) Rockaway Jetty; 5) Belle Harbor Chemists; 6) Kennedy's Restaurant; 7) The Wave; 8) Harbor Optics
Standings-Boys Grammar Middle
1) Melons, 6-1; 2) Curran's Superior Meats, 5-2; 3) Rockaway Little League, 4-2; 4) Cyberzone Gym, 3-3; 5) Station Liquors, 3-4; 6) J & E Industries, 3-4; 7)Brooklyn Hurricanes, 3-4; 8)Irish Circle, 1-7
Standings- Boys Grammar Senior
1) Business Relocation Services, 6-0; 2) Plum Tomatoes, 5-1; 3) Grayridersband. com, 5-2; 4) Walsh Properties, 3- 2; 5) Belle Harbor Breezy Point PT, 3-3; 6) Treiber-Roberts, Inc., 3-4; 7) Orangemen, 2-5; 8) Cougars, 1-4; 9) JG Electrical Installations, 0-7
Standings- Boys High School
1) Breen Electric, 5-1; 2) Dr. Schilling's PODs, 4-2; 3) Breezy Point Lumber, 5-3; 4) Seawolves, 4-3; 5) Graybeards, 4-3; 6) Seaway Marina, 2- 4; 7) Coastal Real Estate, 2-5; 8) Rockaway Rotary, 2-5; 9)Denis S. O'Connor, Inc., 1-5
Standings- Men's Open
1) Belle Harbor Steakhouse, 5-1; 2) Rock Park All-Stars, 5-1; 3) Quigley Insurance, 5-2; 4) Caiazzo Plumbing, 4- 2; 5) WPE Catering, 3-2; 6) Bungalow Bar, 2-3; 7) Knights of Columbus, 2-4; 8) Jameson's, 1-5; 9) Wharf, 0-5
Standings-Girls Grammar Junior
1) R. Tyne Painting; 2) BHYC; 3) Ludwig's Sandwiches; 4) Walsh Properties; 5) Coastal Real Estate; 6)
Rockapulco Medical; 7) Ridgewood Savings Bank; 8) Kimball Construction
Standings-Girls Grammar Senior
1) Laurice Keating Real Estate, 6-1; 2) Adams & Company Realty, 6-1;
3) Walter Blum's Giants, 5-2; 4) Betty Boops, 2-4; 5) T. Moriarty & Son, 2-5;
6) Carvel, 2-5; 7) ATP Insurance, 1-6
Standings- Girls High School
1) Animal Hospital of the Rockaways; 2) McManus Mechanical; 3) Flynn & Flynn; 4) Ryan's Rebels; 5) Honey B's
Standings- Womens Open A
1) Hot Mommas, 7-0; 2) Erin White, 5-1; 3) Tap & Grill, 4-2; 4) Bayview, 2-5; 5) The Inn, 1-5; 6) Michelle Kenel, 0-6
Standings- Womens Open B
1) Bungalow Bar, 3-0; 2) Treiber- Roberts, Inc., 2-1; 3) Harbor Light, 1-2;
4) Jameson's, 0-3.