Historical Views of the Rockaways
With today's view, our time machine takes us back to about 1914, to take a look at the old Holland Railroad Station. This view has us looking west towards Beach 94 Street and Brush Place (by the trees shown). Brush Place is today known as De Sota Road.
Our camera was set up on Beach 91 Street, where the switch for the 90th Street siding was located. At Beach 92 Street, at the end of Emmerich's old hotel shown and on the bay side of the tracks, there was another siding and related switch, These sidings were used by the railway express company.
An eastbound train to Rockaway Park is on the right, and the waiting people are looking for the westbound train to Penn Station.
This rural scene ended in the early 1940s when the LIRR tracks were elevated to prevent auto-train crashes on railroad crossings.
After the elevated line was finished, the roadway built under it (the Rockaway Freeway) was dubbed "suicide Drive" due to numerous accidents and resulting fatalities.