FDNY Urges Safe Home Heating
Following an early morning fire today at 1439 Ocean Avenue in Flatbush, Brooklyn that left one man critically injured and 10 civilians with minor injuries after a space heater was left too close to a bed, the FDNY is reminding New Yorkers to be careful when heating their homes this winter.
When the temperature drops below freezing, city residents sometimes take extreme measures to heat their homes, including the use of portable heating equipment. "Heating equipment is the leading cause of home fires during the winter months," said Commissioner Scoppetta. "Educating yourself to these dangers will keep you and your loved ones safe and warm."
* Space heaters should be at least three feet from anything that can burn and should always be turned off when leaving a room or going to sleep. Space heaters are temporary heating devices and should only be used for a limited time each day.
* Never use an extension cord with a space heater. Space heaters should be plugged directly into an outlet.
* Never use a space heater with a frayed or damaged cord, even for a small amount of time.
* Young children should be kept away from any heater or appliance that has hot surfaces that can cause burns.
* The use of kerosene heaters is illegal in New York City.
* Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If you already have detectors installed, make sure they work by testing them at least once a month.
* Never use the kitchen oven or gas range to heat your home or apartment. This could lead to an accumulation of dangerous levels for carbon monoxide, which can lead to serious illness, or even death.
* Use electric blankets only if they have the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Mark and are less than 10 years old. Blankets that are 10 years or older account for 99% of all electric blanket fires.
* Only use electric blankets with an emergency shut off switch.
Electric blankets should not be used when sleeping.
* Never use an electric blanket with frayed or broken cords or scorch marks.
* Avoid tucking an electric blanket in at the sides of the bed and
avoid placing other blankets on top of an electric blanket when in use.
* Never place an electric blanket on a baby, small child or anyone
with physical limitations that prevents them from turning off the blanket.
* Check on your neighbors when the temperature is below the
freezing mark, especially the elderly and those with pre-existing health problems
* Call 311 to report lack of heat or hot water in your apartment or home.
For more information on home heating tips in the winter months and other fire safety tips year round, please visit the FDNY website at www.nyc.gov/fdny.