Historical Views of the Rockaways
Have you ever heard the expression, "Quick Henry! The Flit!"? Flit brand bug juice was the most popular in the never ending war against the flies, mosquitoes, and fleas! After World War II, DDT took over and killed other things besides bugs.
Old Grogan's Restaurant first appeared on the old Holland Bay Pier, which became the present Beach 92 Street, after the great bayfront landfill during the winter of 1923-24. After the fill Denis Grogan built a new brick restaurant on the east side of the old courthouse, and this place burned to the ground in the early 1940s. The famous eatery was not rebuilt.
Lastly, Belle Harbor had many class hotels at this time, and a host of rooming/boarding houses to boot! Many did not advertise, solely depending on word of mouth praise by those who rented space. Very few were open in the winter months, and a few of these did advertise in the Wave.
One such room and board place was owned by Mrs. Fanny Lesnick. Located at 150 Beach 123 Street. Can an old-timer enlighten us as to what this old hostelry was like?
About The Rockaways
Please Send It To:
HISTORICAL ROCKAWAY C/O THE WAVE P.O. BOX 930097 ROCKAWAY BEACH, N.Y. 11693