Historical Views of the Rockaways
In 1929 the Jewish Congregation of Dereck Emunoch began a campaign to raise about $125,000 in order to build a community center on the beach side of their house of worship, located on the southwest corner of Larkin Avenue and Beach 67 Street.
Their synagogue was built and dedicated in 1905, and now it was considered time for a community center which would be an asset to Arverne.
Today's view shows the architect's rendition (Horn & Legit) printed in The Wave.
In the early 1960s, urban renewal saw the center demolished, as well as an extension on Beach 69 Street and Rockaway Beach Boulevard.
The Synagogue remained as there was a hope to rebuild the area along with the congregation, but a series of fires and development pressures caused the house of worship to be demolished… with promises?
The congregation was given two trailers to use as a synagogue, until?