Historical Views of the Rockaways
From time to time, yours truly comes across a great historical postcard that has a view of importance, but it has been touched up or items added, by a well meaning touch-up artist of yore.
Views today shows such a postcard with a colored picture of the old Arverne boardwalk built in 1901; the first Arverne elevated walk with stores for shopping and places of entertainment. Hotel accommodations were also available, as were a bowling alley, dress shop, drugstore, and a hairdresser.
All things are normal in size, except for the five out of proportion figures added in the foreground; four at center and one on the right.
The old Arverne walk ran from Beach 59 Street on the east, to Beach 74 Street on the west, and was 30 feet in width, excepting the commercial section between Beach 68 and Beach 70 Streets which was 40 feet in width.
Shown on the right are Richter's Halcyon Baths, a dry goods empori- um, a tailor and dress shop, the Remington Baths, Chubbuck's Drugstore with a Tabbard Inn lending library, the Arverne hotel Baths and Casino… and on the left the inn bachelor apartments which was knocked on its side by the great storm of 1914 and destroyed at Beach 73 Street on the beach.
Jacobi's Restaurant and Brodkin's Bazaar and Madam Le Count's store were among the many favorite attractions in the early years of Arverne.
The great storm of 1920 put the kabash on the east end of the walk, which was carried away to sea; the west portion, seriously weakened, was later closed and condemned and removed for the construction of the new municipal walk in the mid 1920s.