2008-04-04 / Sports

Rockaway Outdoors/Tales From The Wheel House

By Captain Vinnie Calabro

Bunker in the live well. "Hmm, hmmm" good. Bunker in the live well. "Hmm, hmmm" good. Friday around midday I and a few of the boys decided to do a little fishing. I pretty much, in my infinite wisdom, had all the angles covered. Midday and top of the flood tide should be the warmest part of the day. With that being said, we left Shellbank Creek and scooted around the open bay. Halfway down the bay not five minutes from the dock we saw some bunker.

After a decent throw of the cast net we saw some bunker on my deck and then my live well. Surface temperature of the water varied from 48-50 degrees. We made a few drops here and there throughout the bay with no results.

March was never much of a time to catch bass, but the school of bait was just too tempting to ignore. That being said we made our way to the south side of the bay. Up Woodhull and through the marshes we headed east toward Inwood. Around the turn by Inwood Park, I saw a couple of "Joes" fishing from shore.

Their rods pretty stationary in their rod holders, I kicked it with them for a few minutes asking if they had seen or caught anything. "Na", was the reply, I returned the report with a faint "I gotchya" and left.

That mission being completed I did a U turn and headed home. After securing the boat at the dock, I treated the crew to Dunkin Donuts. Over a tea, I pretty much convinced myself that we are about two maybe three weeks away from some fish.

That being said, I reinforced it with doing anything prior to that would be a waste of time. Saturday morning around sixish, I picked Billy up and we drive down toward the boat. Maybe the fish will be there on the low tide at dawn, so we tried to convince ourselves. The wind thumping made it real difficult to open my pickup door.

With that task at hand we decided to retreat to the bagel store in Broad Channel. Now having already eaten two breakfasts; one at my house and one at Billy's, I just got a cookie to go along with my tea and copy of The Wave.

While waiting to pay I opened up the paper to see my column. The guy in back of me says hey. that guy rights a good fishing report. Hmm, I nod and say really, I'll have to check it out.

I try to remain covert; you know the paparazzi and all that stuff. Fame does have its price. Anyway we turn down Noel to check out Smittys'. There's some activity there and I snoop around to see if anyone is fishing, just yard workers. Trying to make the U turn on the side street I knock over my tea.

I had it in a makeshift cup holder, something I invented, it was lodged between a pair of socks and old towel by my arm support .It's a disaster my tea gone I do an about face into the bagel store and do an instant replay, this time I get an oatmeal raisin cookie. The peanut butter cookie, although good, doesn't have the nutritional benefits of raisins and oatmeal.

Opening day for flounders was Tuesday and despite some crummy weather a few flounder were caught. Keep in mind that this season is later than the traditional opening in March, so I believe the fishing will be good as soon as we get some sunshine.

Anyway I hope by next week we will be into some fish, because this column is getting to be a Seinfeld episode, a lotta talk about nothing.

Until the next tide.....

Return to top

Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2016 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History



Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio