Abandoned Courthouse Turns Dangerous
Abandoned along Beach Channel Drive and Beach 92 Street for more than 35 years, the former New York City courthouse has become a pedestrian hazard of late, local residents say. The fences that surround the courthouse are severely weathered, rusted, and are even collapsing in some areas.
The site received brief attention back in 2002 when a developer bought the property, hoping to build an office building on the site. He had to eventually terminate the project due to rising costs arising from the costs of revamping the land-marked building.
The courthouse opened in 1932. In the early 1960's, the city centralized its courts in Jamaica and the Rockaway courthouse was closed. For several years during the 1970's it was utilized by a cultural and theatrical group, but it again fell into disuse due to the fiscal crisis of that decade.
Most recently, Borough President Helen Marshall announced that the building would be revamped as a unit for the City College of New York, a school that would carry her name and be used to train teachers.
Today, it stands abandoned and deteriorating and is becoming just another neglected Rockaway property.