From The Artists Studio
New Exhibition For The Holidays
RAA CONTACT INFO: Phone: 718- 474-0861; Fax: 718-474-4373; email: email@example.com; website: www.rockawayartistsalliance.org
Nominations for members of the Rockaway Artists Alliance board of directors will take place at RAA's next general meeting, which is on Monday, November 12 at 7:30 p.m. in Building T-149, Rockaway Center for the Arts (RoCA) in Fort Tilden. RAA membership is required to vote in RAA elections. The present RAA board will present a slate. Then nominations can be presented from the floor. RAA general meetings are open to members and non-members. All are welcome to participate, to network with fellow artists and to display their artwork for friendly, constructive discussion.
• "Gifted 2007," this year's installment of RAA's annual member holiday show, is on view from Sunday, November 18 through Sunday, December 16, 2007, in sTudio 6 Gallery in RoCA @ Fort Tilden. The opening reception is Sunday, November 18, 1-3 p.m.
In "Gifted 2007," the visual arts are visited in several incarnations, and the literary arts are represented by the poetry of Joan Boudreault, Dan Guarino and Shirl Holt. Watercolor breathes life into the warmth of winter light and the delicate beauty of flowers. Acrylic has been used to create the intriguing, the exotic and the familiar. Masterful quilt work can be found among the gifts of "Gifted." Photography captures the portrait, the glass-like delicacy of ice, nature in a variety of its manifestations and nature "assisted" by man and woman. Nature also finds form in driftwood, wire, glass and shells. Just to mix the stew, mixed media has been stirred in, with a dab of oil. Spice up your holidays with the gifts of "Gifted."
• Congratulations to all those who made this year's four-night RAA Halloween extravaganza so successful. This includes all the wonderfully ghastly, ghoulish "Prison Ship" volunteers and the approximately 1500 happily frightened folks who came through sTudio 7 Gallery to be properly 'scared out of their wits.'
• "Robert Sarnoff Retrospective" ended its successful run this past weekend with a screening on Saturday of his latest movie, "Dispatch." Thanks to all who attended the exhibit and the screenings, for adding their insight and interest to the afternoon and to the previous weekend showings of the first two Sarnoff films.
• Bravo to the Rockaway Theatre Company for their successful opening weekend of "Inspecting Carol." Never heard of the play? Don't let that deprive you of experiencing the sidesplitting hilarity of this funny, funny farce. Just ask all those who have been lucky enough to have seen it already. Remaining performances at the Post Theater in Fort Tilden: Nov. 9, 10, 16, 17 @ 8 p.m.; Nov. 11 @ 2 p.m. Tickets: 718-850-2450. CALL TO ARTISTS FROM MTA:
MTA Arts for Transit is seeking artists' submissions (resumes and images) from professional Rockaway area artists to make sure that local artists have a chance to be considered for upcoming permanent art projects.
• Artists' packages will be reviewed and finalists will be selected to create original two-dimensional designs for the Beach 105 Street, Beach 98 Street and Beach 90 Street stations in the Rockaways on the A and S line. The stations are being rehabilitated as part of the MTA New York City Transit's Capital Program. Approximately one percent of the construction budget for each station is allocated for the design, fabrication, and installation of permanent artwork. The commissioned artist will create designs that will be reproduced in the medium of faceted glass. Because an approved fabricator will be translating the selected artwork, artists' prior experience with glass is not necessary.
If you are interested in receiving the submission requirements, or have questions, please e-mail lburg@mtahq. org. You will need to supply your mailing address and contact number.
To learn more about Arts for Transit, please visit www.mta.info/mta/aft. Please note that the required materials will be due to the MTA on November 16.
FORT TILDEN HIGHLIGHTS:
(FREE) THURSDAY OPEN MIC MUSIC NIGHTS: Every Thursday at
7 p.m. in sTudio 7 Gallery, RoCA
(FREE) FRIDAY NIGHT IMPROV: Every Friday Night in sTudio 7, the
improv group "No Shame Theater" performs and invites audience members
to join in.
NEXT RAA GENERAL MEETING: Monday, November 12. Nominations
for the board of directors. (See details in column.)
OPENING RECEPTION for "GIFTED 2007," RAA's annual member holiday
show: Sunday, November 18, 1-3 p.m., sTudio 6 Gallery