Concrete Blocks Are Being Removed
Captain Charles Neacy confirmed last weekend that he has already "started the process" to have most of the 40-some-odd blocks - which are three-feet square and weigh about 2 tons each - removed after he heard "grumblings."
"I know this is a concern to some people in the community," he said. The captain met with representatives from the Department of Sanitation on Saturday, September 8. Some have since been taken away.
A few of the blocks, which are placed alongside the north, south and west sides of the stationhouse, will remain, Neacy said, and he's looking into how they can be decorated to make them more visually appealing.
The Wave reported last week that the block's days appeared to be numbered. Similar vehicle barriers, which sprung up around the city in the wake of the terrorist attacks, have also started to come down for a variety of reasons.