2007-09-14 / Community

Boy Burns SelfWith Mother's Lighter

By Howard Schwach

Asix-year-old Far Rockaway boy suffered serious burns to his chest on Friday, after he accidentally set himself on fire with his mother's cigarette lighter, police say.

Loud screams brought Cynthia Holmes into her son's bedroom at about 1:30 a.m. on September 7.

She found her son, Nasir, on fire. The mother of four yanked off his burning t-shirt and tried to calm him down, as he cried out in pain, relatives said.

Nasir, who suffered second-degree burns, was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, where he remains in stable condition, sources say.

Sources at the hospital said that his undershirt caught fire as he tried to burn a small, round hole in it with his mother's cigarette lighter.

Return to top


Email Us
Contact Us

Copyright 1999 - 2014 Wave Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved

Neighborhoods | History

 

 

Check Out News Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Riding the Wave with Mark Healey on BlogTalkRadio